The Bureau of Aviation Safety certifies commercial airports,
restricted landing areas, heliports and balloon ports, and
maintains a continuing inspection program to ensure adherence to
minimum physical standards and safety criteria at all Illinois
airports. The bureau has two sections: Aviation Supportive
Services and Pilot & Aircraft Registration. The
bureau also conducts aviation safety seminars and supports
activities of the Civil Air Patrol (CAP). Specific actions the
bureau undertakes include:
- Inspecting more than 1,000 aviation facilities in Illinois.
- Issuing Aeronautical Facility Certifications.
- Preparing and conducting statewide aviation seminars.
- Supporting the Illinois Wing of the Civil Air Patrol.
Aviation Supportive Services Section is
responsible for tasks that include:
- Preparing and Publishing the Illinois Aviation Newsletter.
- Publishing the Illinois Aeronautical Chart.
- Publishing notifications and aviation support materials.
Pilot & Aircraft Registration Section is
responsible for the following tasks:
- Registration of Illinois pilots and aircraft.
- Oversight of the Division of Aeronautics' mail control and
For answers to frequently asked questions about pilot or aircraft
owner registration, refer to Pilot &
Aircraft Information. Also you can download a copy of the Illinois
Pilot Registration Form or the Illinois Aircraft Registration Form.
Adobe Reader is required to view these files.