Illinois Department of Transportation, Erica Borggren, Acting Secretary
Patrick J. Quinn, Governor
Traveling PublicMapsProjectsRoad ClosuresNewsDoing BusinessLetting & BiddingCareers@IDOTGeneral Info

District 2 Utility Permit Applications

A permit is required when working within the right of way of an Interstate, U.S., State highway, or State maintained route. A permit must be obtained prior to the start of any work and a copy of the approved permit must be at the worksite at all times.

There are two types of permits for work within State right of way:

  • Highway Permit – All non-utility companies (municipalities, residential, commercial, agricultural, etc.)

  • Utility Permit – Utility Companies, Municipal Utilities, Field Tile, etc.

The permit information and forms available on this page are designed for use within Region 2, District 2, which includes the counties of Boone, Carroll, Henry, JoDaviess, Lee, Ogle, Rock Island, Stephenson, Whiteside, and Winnebago. (Boundaries Map)


Downloadable Utility Permits and Related Material

The files are available in Microsoft Word format. The Word documents are set up with form fields, you should be able to tab through the fields and fill in much of the required data via your pc before printing and signing.

District 2 Utility Contact Information Contacts at IDOT related to Utilities/Permits
Utility Permit Application
OPER 1113 Permit application for private placement or maintenance of utilities, municipalities, or utility company request to do work on the right-of-way. Fill out this form if you need to place facilities on state property.
Traffic Control Authorization Request for Utility Work D2 UT725 Used to inform IDOT of project start date, location, emergency telephone numbers and the traffic control standards being used for Utility Work
Individual Utility Permit Bond OPER 1122 The surety bonds required for utility work and occupancy on State highway right-of-way are intended primarily to assure the prompt and satisfactory replacement, repair, and completion of work (at no cost to the State or its contractors) on State highway facilities that may be damaged or disrupted by the utility company's operations or occupancy.

IDOT Reference Material

Other Reference Material

  • 90 Day Utility Relocation Law

  • Select Chapter 605 Roads and Bridges
    Select 605 ILCS 5/Illinois Highway Code
    Select Article 9 - General Highway Provisions
  • Accommodation of Utilities on Right-of-Way - Rule, Title 92

    Guide to what is allowable when the permit application is submitted to our office. This guide is to help determine what is appropriate when it comes to placing utilities on the right-of-way. The most common requests come from private placement of utilities, municipalities, or utility company requests to do work on state property.


    Illinois law requires all persons digging, regardless of the depth of the project, to call JULIE at 1-800-892-0123 at least 48 hours (two working days) prior to the start of excavation and to begin that excavation project within 14 calendar days from calling JULIE. (The 48 hour notice does not include Saturdays, Sundays or holidays.) Failure to contact JULIE prior to excavation in accordance with the law can carry penalties from $200 up to $5,000 for each separate offense. The Illinois Commerce Commission is the enforcement body for the law, not JULIE.

  • JULIE Enforcement 

    On July 27th, 2001 , Governor Ryan signed House Bill 2138 (Public Act 92-0179) revising the Illinois Underground Utility Facilities Damage Prevention Act. The Act outlines the responsibilities of underground of utility facility operators and excavators with regard to notifying the State-Wide One-Call Notice System (otherwise known as "JULIE"), marking the underground utility facilities, and excavating near utility facilities. One of the revisions to the Act was to make the Illinois Commerce Commission responsible for enforcement of violations of the Act.

  • MUTCD (National Manual on Uniform Traffic Control Devices

IDOT Privacy Statement | Illinois Privacy Information | Kids Privacy | Web Accessibility  | FOIA